women's soccer

SU’s winless streak in ACC play is punctuated by injury woes

Ryan Jermyn | Contributing Photographer

Injuries across the roster have depleted any chance of progressing further in the ACC.

Emma Klein had been the model of consistency for Syracuse.

The junior midfielder led the team with 32 career starts, including every game in 2022. But after her second game of the 2023 season, a 3-0 win over Siena, Klein suffered a lower-body injury against Auburn.

This season, six players on SU’s 24-player roster have been sidelined at some point, resulting in a lackluster 0-5-1 start in the Atlantic Coast Conference. The injuries have led to drastic roster changeover. Syracuse has made two player changes and multiple position swaps since the season opener. It’s translated to inconsistent results for Syracuse, failing to build on last year’s .528 record — the best during Nicky Thrasher Adams’ tenure.

The injury plague hit Syracuse before conference play began on Sept. 15 against Miami. It began with Klein, forcing the Orange to switch formations and move players out of position.

On Sept. 24 against Virginia Tech, starting left back Kate Murphy collided in the air with VT’s Lauren Gogal. Murphy sustained a head injury, ruling her out for the rest of the matchup. She missed the next three games against Clemson, Wake Forest and Louisville, which moved Alyssa Abramson from right to left back.

“It’s definitely frustrating as a whole team, knowing one person is down now or another,” Abramson said. “The starters know we need to put our best foot forward.”

With such rapid rotation, SU’s mainstays must adjust their play as well. With a lack of chemistry among the constant changes, the team has had to focus on communicating.

Goalkeeper Shea Vanderbosch has been affected by the unexpected changes, Adams said. Following her career-high 16 save performance against then-No. 3 ranked Florida State, Adams said “it does stink that we’ve had to rotate so many people in front of her (Vanderbosch).”

Injuries have changed the way SU practices. Due to limited personnel, it can’t scrimmage 11-on-11, taking a safe approach to stay healthy. The training sessions attempt to mentally prepare the players with discussions on positioning while conserving health.

“We still do some hard practices sometimes,” Abramson said. “But we definitely do a lot of film based on the team we are going to play and manage our practices around that.”

Though largely detrimental, the injuries have provided opportunity to multiple players, like defender Kendyl Lauher, to assume larger roles with the team.

When Klein went down, Lauher entered the starting lineup. She started six games in 2022, but wasn’t in the starting lineup to begin the 2023 season. She gradually morphed into a regular, starting games against Cornell, Harvard, Fairfield, Miami and Florida State. Since a knee injury against the Seminoles, Lauher has not played.

Arlo Stone | Digital Design Director

Midfielder Liesel Odden, who started just three games before 2023, was inserted into the lineup against Miami. Facing FSU, she opened the scoring in an eventual 3-2 loss.

Forward Raia James entered her senior season without a start, not even recording a single shot. But, against then-No. 17 ranked Wake Forest on Oct. 5, she slotted a shot into the bottom left corner to put Syracuse up 2-0.

“Raia is one of those kids that shows up everyday,” Adams said. “She might not get the playing time others get, but it was a fantastic goal and she deserved it.”

However, James’ score came before the height of the Orange’s injury woes. A crucial, five minute sequence in the second half relinquished an SU lead and perfectly summed up the challenges it has faced.

Trailing 2-1 with 16 minutes remaining, the Demon Deacons pushed forward. Midfielders Anna Swanson and Emily Murphy played a give-and-go at the edge of the 18-yard box, teeing up a left-footed effort from Swanson. The shot sailed over the net.

Yet, on a possession that seemed positive for Syracuse, Abramson, Erin Flurey and Anna Rupert all had lower leg injuries. Abramson and Rupert stepped off. Flurey stayed on in visible pain but was later substituted, not returning.

One minute after play halted, Wake Forest forward Hannah Johnson equalized. The nightmarish five minute period ended with forward Aysia Cobb landing awkwardly after attempting a header. She was helped off by trainers and remained on the bench.

At half time, Syracuse led the Demon Deacons 2-0 before a familiar storyline unfolded. For a struggling ACC team competing against some of the best competition in the country, the slew of injuries have only pushed the Orange further back.

“You got to commend these girls for waking up every morning and wearing the Syracuse uniform with the ultimate pride,” Adams said. “Fighting tooth and nail to represent this university in the best way through fight and grit.”