Cross Country

Syracuse men’s cross country remains at No. 6, women’s falls to No. 25 in latest poll

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

Both the men's and women's teams held their rankings at the No. 1 and No. 2 position, respectively, in the Northeast Region.

Syracuse’s men’s team remained at No. 6 on Tuesday’s NCAA Cross Country Coaches’ Poll while the women’s team dropped to No. 25.

Coming off of its worst performance of the season, Brien Bell’s squad racked up 276 points after recording 268 a week ago. There was no movement within the top 14 programs from last week’s rankings. For the third consecutive week, SU also maintained its No. 1 ranking in the Northeast Region with Harvard coming in at No. 2.

With 327 points, Northern Arizona came in at No. 1 in the USTFCCCA Poll as it edged out Oklahoma State (325 points). BYU (310 points), Wisconsin (293 points) and North Carolina (290 points) rounded out the top five.

After a significant move up the rankings after entering Week 2 unranked, SU’s women’s team saw their No. 21 ranking slip after the Coast-to-Coast Battle in Beantown. Syracuse fell to the No. 25 spot with 79 points. Wisconsin and Utah Valley finished just ahead with 87 with 85 points, respectively.

The Orange remained at No. 2 in the women’s Northeast Regional rankings, trailing only Providence. Similar to the mens’ rankings, there was not any change in the top seven spots.

In the USTFCCCA poll, NC State (329 points) beat out Northern Arizona (320 points) for the No. 1 spot. Oklahoma State (304 points), Notre Dame (290 points) and Stanford (279 points) came in at third, fourth and fifth respectively.

Syracuse will next head to Wisconsin for the Nuttycombe Invitational on Friday, Oct. 13th.